Housing Choice Voucher
The Housing Choice Voucher program consists of 149 assisted vouchers, which depends upon HUD funding.
The HCV Program is a federal rent subsidy that assists low-income households with monthly rental payments. The Authority administers funds received from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and distributes them in the form of Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers to eligible families and individuals.
A voucher allows program participants to rent housing that meets their needs at a price they can afford. All eligible families are required to pay at least 30 percent (but no more than 40 percent initially) of their monthly-adjusted income toward rent directly to the landlord. The Housing Authority pays the landlord the difference between the Contract Rent and the tenant's portion. A tenant must find housing within 120 days or risk losing the voucher.
The Section 8 Waitlist is currently closed.
Applications are only given out when the Wait List is open.
When the Wait List is open, you may pick up an application for housing at the Housing Authority of the City of Cocoa located at 828 Stone Street, Cocoa, Fl 32922. If you are unable to pick up an application, contact us by phone or email and one can be mailed to you.
Mainstream Special Preference Voucher Wait List Open - Referrals Only
Our Section 8 Mainstream Voucher program waiting list is open strictly on a referral basis from our local Brevard County, Florida supportive services partners.
For assistance from our supportive services partners:
- If you are located in Brevard County, Florida, call 211, and provide the intake specialist with your information.
- If you are not located in Brevard County, Florida, call 321-632-6688 and provide the intake specialist with your information.
- You can also visit www.211brevard.org for detailed information on the 211 services provided in Brevard County, Florida.
In order to qualify for this Mainstream Voucher, a non-elderly person, under the age of 62, must have a current situation that includes one of the top two bullets below and be referred by a partnering homeless service organization (bullet #3).
- Non-elderly persons with disabilities who are transitioning out of institutional or other segregated settings or
- Non-elderly persons with disabilities who have previously experienced homelessness and are currently a client in a *Permanent supporting housing agency or *Rapid rehousing project and
- Non-elderly persons with disabilities *who are referred by a partnering homeless service organization.
*Please dial 211 (local) or 321-632-6688 (outside of Brevard County) for assistance in finding a partnering homeless service organization that may be able to assist you. An applicant to the Mainstream Voucher Program must be referred through 211 to a partnering service organization in order to be considered for a Mainstream Voucher.
*Permanent Supporting Housing Agency - an intervention that combines affordable housing assistance with voluntary support services to address the needs of chronically homeless people.
*Rapid Rehousing - provide temporary assistance to individuals and families who experience homelessness so they may quickly move into permanent housing and stabilize there.